Thursday, May 3, 2007

Sleep Deprivation

I am currently testing the theory that doing a masters degree is effectively a two year experiment in sleep deprivation and stress tests - I feel that this theory may have some validity. Currently this week I have had four projects and a presentation due on Tuesday (all done i might add) and another project, a take home quiz and my first thesis committee meeting including a presentation are due tomorrow. I am averaging around 4 or 5 hours sleep a night and just when I think it's all going well something occurs to stop me thinking that and cause added stress.
This wouldn't be so bad if I had managed to keep fooling my immune system that I wasn't doing anything insane, unfortunately it turns out my immune system is too quick for that one to work.
Ah well one more day of stress and hell and then its the summer, with a celebratory weekend planned, to be followed by a week long road trip to explore more of this strange country I have moved to. I also have a lot to look forward too in the long term including a visitation from the parents and then going back to the mother country which will include, I hope, a lot of time spent with a certain English boy I have missed a lot. But right now I can't wait to get out of this stress inducing city and seeing more of the famous places I have heard so much about, getting ill can and will wait till I get back home to Laramie.


Hmm that last part of the sentence was strange in itself, can it be that i have now been here long enough to subconsciously be considering Laramie home? maybe it is a result of the amazing friends i have gained in the last month or two - or maybe i have just given up and become resigned to the fact that this is home till I graduate. I would like to think it is the former - friends should always make you feel at home and welcome where you are, but in this tired state who am I to judge what is going on in my head?

3 comments:

Linus said...

Resistance is futile. You're one of us now... :)

Flynn said...

It happens, thinking of Laramie as home, but only until you go back to a civilized part of the world for a bit. Then it all sorts itself out again ;)

(and from you Laramie natives, I don't want any grief - you all know it's true)

sivartkram said...

welcome.