Thursday, May 17, 2007

Learning

Well ok, thanks guys for the comments on the last blog. I think I might have a go on Squids advice and write things, well not necessarily always from the heart (my British reserve still exists!), but at least as they occur in my head. I will also try the papal review idea - but maybe not for posts that I am putting up late at night!

Todays thought (well tonights thought, but same difference) why is it when your are actually sleep deprived you feel rough but you can keep going. Its when you stop that's when you feel like you have been sledgehammered. I figured I'd allow myself a week of rest after finals hell and the traveling and I have hardly done anything! For example I was going to test out my roller blades, but its either thunderstorming or I am comatose somewhere as my body exacts it revenge. So the lesson learned - don't stop!!!! or maybe just don't push yourself that hard, but I'm a masters student so lets be realistic.

Hmm that brings me onto a second point - the weather in this place. The British are notorious for talking about the weather so bear with me. This place is beyond me - yes it rains a lot in England but we also get some lovely spring and summer days (not to mention winter sunshine) but at least it is relatively predictable. The weather here is beyond anything I can think of, one minute sunshine and heat, the next a snowstorm for a day or two, more sunshine that looks like its here to stay - oh look it must be the afternoon here's a THUNDER STORM!!! argh! (ok so thats predictable at least) - I'm just waiting for the next snow storm, and it will happen I am sure. When someone told me that you just have to wait 10 mins if you don't like the weather here they werent joking.

It doesnt help that I'm not the greatest thunderstorm fan, they scare me a little still - I can just about handle them when I can watch them, but otherwise it is tempting to hide under the comforter (and no that does not make me a baby, my Grandma used to do that too!) , its also most startling when you are meditating to have a crash of thunder right overhead out of the blue - I leapt off my meditation cushion as a result today, and it just wasn't the same after that.

4 comments:

sivartkram said...

I love thunderstorms. The ones that roll through Laramie just aren't the same as the ones I grew up with in Omaha.

And the North American continent is a lot bigger than the British Isles and a bit more complicated weather patterns. Which are all changing now due to the current climatic stresses at work from the excess of CO2 in the atmosphere.

[reaches for ear piece]
No, wait a minute... I'm getting final word on this.... Global warming is nothing but a pinko, hippie, communist, plot trying to hurt big oil. *wink*

[end transmission]

Linus said...

The thunderstorms are a favorite of mine - unless I have to ride my bike home in one...

I have been known to say things like, "Sleep is for the weak" and "I can sleep when I'm dead" but now that I am no longer a fulltime student, I am quite fond of sleep. I am up today, commenting on blogs at 5 in the morning because I fell asleep at 7:45 last night (of course, that might have something to do with a movie night that went on until 2AM with some British girl the night before :) - but I digress). My point here is that sleep will reenter your life when your degrees are done...

Flynn said...

The weather here is all kinds of crazy. But you learn to read it - the lay of the clouds, and the smell of ozone.

As for the snow - it's only the end of May. We still have one or two good snow storms left this year. ;)

I won't comment on sleep, cause... well I can't... so yeah...

Alexander said...

I recon "An Ordinary Black Cat" will become your favourite book. Look at www.catyourway.com You can read the 1st chapter free and then decide whether you would like to order the whole text and immidiately read the rest. Please, let me know...