Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Debate

Hmm ok so there are is a minor issue I have come across in the very short while that I have been blogging that has come up again in conversation with Oli (aka my boy back in England for those in the know).......... I am a physical geographer, therefore the only writing style that I have had to employ in the last 6 or 7 years is a scientific one (which is why I sucked at the few human geography modules that I had to do in undergrad). I am therefore finding it a struggle to write in any other manner, and as a result my blog posts are a real brain drain as I fight with the writing style.

Oli came up with a simple solution, write it scientifically. But I have two issues with that idea - one is that I am blogging as a way to get away from the world of physical geography that I love but stresses me immensely, and second if I start writing scientifically in style it will only become a matter of time before it affects the subject matter. The result is I start writing about landscape ecology/biogeography and then anyone who happens to read/stumble across my blog will be forced to kill themselves to escape the boredom.

So instead any readers will have to deal with my evolving writing style - any feedback will always be welcome, but it doesn't mean I am going to pay attention to it!!

6 comments:

Linus said...

You could submit posts to your friendly neighborhood pontiff for review... ;)

miss kt said...

aah that is a good point, but I dont want to take too much time from your demands at the black vatican!

Flynn said...

I would love to offer some uber cool nerdtastic tip here - but submitting your posts for Papal review is definitely your best resource.

I'll my comic posts are edited for intelligence and literacy by the pontiff. It's nice to give the appearance of mastery of the English language...

(and I'm tired of getting nagged about the 'u' in colour...)

Linus said...

Thank you for that ringing endorsement, Flynn!

By the way, you have a typo in the second paragraph of your comment... which further drives home your point. Well done. :)

Squid said...

Lol, oh dear. I say just write from your heart, that's all I do. Yes, sometimes it doesn't make sense, but it feels better to get it out that way, at least for me.

sivartkram said...

You have to balance the scientific with the practical stuff that the reader will give a shit about. You have about two sentences of content to three sentences of fluff. Not necessarily in a row, but you get the point.

Point is. Just write. Style will come later.

later