Friday, May 18, 2007

Heartbreak

I am so sad, and i think something inside me has died. I have spent some time now trying to build compassion inside myself as I believe that so much less pain will be in this world if we are more compassionate towards one another, and that the only way to cause this to happen is to start with myself.

Someone I care about an incredible amount, has just spent ages telling me how because we have been hurt we must therefore hurt back and destroy. Whilst this has been the accepted opinion for many years, and in part in history caused us to create the first hurt that has resulted in this backlash, I had hoped it was a lesser opinion nowadays.

I fear that I have lost something very special to me before it even started. My heart has died. I don't know what to do.

2 comments:

Linus said...

"Hatred never ceases by hatred
but by love alone is healed.
This is the ancient and eternal law."

The Buddha was a smart fellow and his words ring true to us today, but not because they are something clever or profound. It is because they are so obvious, so easily testable in our own lives, that they are recognized as "truths." Mostly, he was just a great observer.

Another of his great observations was this:
"You can search the whole universe
and not find a single being
more worthy of love than yourself.
Since each and every person
is so precious to themselves,
let the self-respecting
harm no other being."

Make sure you hold both yourself and others in compassion, for you are essentially one.

sivartkram said...

Whoever you are speaking about is living from within their ego. Only the ego would sponsor such a hateful ideology.

So have compassion for the hatred and ego that we all carry around at times. Compassion comes from a true understanding of what others are going through.

smile